Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)

The Dream Thieves 



Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...
(summary from goodreads.com)
 

__________________________________________________

This book is beautifully, masterfully written. Stiefvater doesn't just write books, she crafts them. Each sentence is well thought out and she is delightful to read. I love the quirks throughout the book - little witty sentences that make me laugh even in the middle of tense scenes. I loved the brotherhood evident in this book, especially during the light hearted moments. As a sister of 3 and mother of 4 boys, I felt right at home amidst all these boys. SO glad Noah is still around, love Blue and Gansey, so interesting to get a better insight into Ronan. This book was definitely not the typical second book, hooray! The plot progressed leaps and bounds, my need to head bash was minimal. Adam was frustrating, but that just seems to be where his character is going. The scene between Ronan and Noah on page 78-79 was hilarious and pretty much made the book for me. Getting to know the inhabitants of Blue's house a little better was also delightful, and I loved the introduction of Ronan's little brother. I even liked the Grey Man, what a fascinatingly complex character. I hated Kavinsky, but I think that was kind of the point, though there was may too much of him. All in all, a delightful book to read … except for one thing. Maggie Stiefvater! The language! REALLY? Was it really necessary? A little over the top, don' t you think? Can YA books really HAVE that much bad language? And a little thing that drives me kind of bonkers, what does Blue look like? Every other character is richly and thoroughly described except her. She's petite with short hair and THAT'S IT.  No eye color, race, hair color (just dark), body shape, nothing. Let me be clear - it DOESN'T MATTER. But I like picturing my heroines and I can't seem to picture her yet. How can I not be entirely sure what she looks like this far into the series?

Otherwise the book was grand. Excellent ending, hooray for Ronan! With of course the obligatory twist but it wasn't terrible. A fabulous series, can't wait to read the next one so we can finally know the answer to WILL HE OR WON'T HE DIE?????


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: YES; Profanity: SO MUCH; Sex: lots of innuendos with possibly an off screen adult match up but very vague

No comments:

Post a Comment