Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting


The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)The Pledge 

In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.

__________________________________________________ 
 
I loved Kimberly Derting’s Body Finder series and was shocked she had another series I hadn’t heard anything about. New series! Yay! And better yet, one that was complete. Hallelujah, no cliff hangers. And while it was really fun to read a completely different genre from an author I really like, I still like her Body Finder series best. I liked Charlie and her cohorts but I was never sold on the love interest. Yes Max is gorgeous and amazing and so on but the instalove (on his part) was just WAY too instant. Way way too instant. There seemed to be no basis for their relationship - no build up, no commonalities, no time spent together. Weird. The subsequent books were better, once I had already accepted that they were a thing and so on and it no longer distracted me from the story line. It was the type of series that all three books could be made into a single movie - each book was pretty direct and succinct. They were quick reads and I had fun reading them.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: heavy; Profanity: none; Sex: first book implied, subsequent books yes but mild

No comments:

Post a Comment