Friday, January 31, 2014

Once by Cameron Dokey

Once: Before Midnight; Golden; Wild Orchid

Once: Before Midnight; Golden; Wild Orchid 

 
Read "happily ever after" with this magical repackage that includes three enchanting, retold fairy tales.

In this value-priced bind-up of three beloved retellings, readers will journey to faraway fairy tale lands. Before Midnight revisits Cinderella's story in France, Golden puts a new spin on Rapunzel's romance, and Wild Orchid reimagines the Chinese tale of Mulan. With so much real-life drama in today's busy world, Once allows readers to escape into whimsical realms where every story has a happily ever after.
 
 
(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 


This book is a collection of three of Dokey's fairy tales. I was pretty sure I had read a few of her books, but only one of these seemed familiar. And they are adorable! Fun and fresh takes on fairy tales, imaginative uses of cliches, unexpected twists. Plenty of instalove, of course, these ARE fairy tales. Before Midnight was my very favorite, I forgot how much I adored Cinderella retellings (Ever After! Ella Enchanted! Swoon!). I loved how the typical best-friend-boy-next-door was flipped on its head. Golden was also fun, who knew a bald Rapunzel could work. And Wild Orchid was a great retelling of Mulan, I loved how the father-daughter relationship actually improved. Sweet stories.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: none; Sex: none

No comments:

Post a Comment