Sunday, May 13, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 

Just simply a fabulous, fabulous book. A great one to pick up if you loved the Hunger Games or Uglies or Legend. I reread this to prepare for Insurgent, the second one in the series, and loved it even more the second time around. I loved Tris's strength and determination to make it in a brutal environment, despite her small size. I loved her realization that selflessness and bravery were often two sides of the same coin - she was a perfect mix of Dauntless and Abnegation. I loved her romance with Four (because of course every good dystopian novel needs a good romance). I loved the theme of sacrifice that weaved through the whole book. It makes me want to be a bit more Dauntless myself, despite my sneaking suspicion that in actuality I'm a Erudite. Alas.

I just love dystopian novels! I'm in a book group with my siblings and it is now a joke that I keep having them read some dystopian novel about a girl who meets a guy and saves the world, which sounds terribly formulaic but in actuality never is, at least to me. (But seriously, boys, you know you've loved every single one I've made you read.) I think it's time to add this one to the list ...

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. Violence: some pretty brutal fights. Profanity: none that I can remember. Sex: making out but nothing further.
 



3 comments:

  1. Chris and I were JUST looking at this book online- we were trying to find new books for him to read. He thought this looked good, and now I know it is! I'll have to go find it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just bought this for my oldest's 12th birthday, and I have not read it yet. I am glad to know I didn't buy her a book full of smut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and I just read this last week and we both really liked it too! We have the next book on hold at the library, but unfortunately it might take a while to come in. I actually had a hard time putting this book down (up til 4am!) and read it within 24 hours which for me is rare. Most books put me to sleep after 20 minutes, even if they're good. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete