Friday, May 11, 2012

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner


The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) The Thief 

"I can steal anything."
After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task - to steal a hidden treasure from another land.
To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 

How have I not read this book before? It was a great find! Usually found in the juvenile section rather than the young adult section, it is still a fun read for adults. The writing was fabulous - I adore Gen and his humor and determination and general likeability. I also loved how many facets of the Magus we were able to see - we go from seeing him as a jailer to seeing him in a much more compassionate light. Even though several of the plot twists were predictable, at least generally if not specifically, there were still enough surprises to keep it interesting. This is what every juvenile/children's book should be - I hate it when they are dumbed down for their audience. True readers, even as children, don't want to be condescended to. And this book didn't! I am so excited to find out that there are more of them to read. I guess that's the advantage of discovering a book 16 years after it's been published ... no wait for the sequel!

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. Violence: some sword fights and beatings. Profanity: none that I can recall. Sex: none. I would let any of my kids read this.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good! Chris was looking over my shoulder as I was reading your blog, and he want's to read this one! He is a boywholovestoread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished reading the other three in the series - I probably won't review them, but I still really liked them a lot. Gen's life takes him interesting places and there are some great twists in his story. Thief was my favorite of the four, but I also loved the third in the series.

    ReplyDelete